Ophthalmic Assistant Team Lead - Travel
SUMMARY OF POSITION: This individual is responsible for oversight and direction of sub-specialty clinic staff. This includes ensuring all patient testing is appropriately scheduled, performed and documented.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Some College Preferred
- COA, COT preferred
- Five years experience in supervision or management of clinical staff
- Working knowledge of all aspects related to ophthalmic work up/care.
- Demonstrated skills in motivating and training professional staff.
Skills and Proficiencies:
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral.
- Proven ability to work well in a leader capacity.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Personable; empathetic with patient's needs and concerns
- Well-organized with attention to detail
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Demonstrated computer literacy.
- Able to perform all of the following Measurement Tasks- Visual Acuity, Manual lensometry, Confrontational Visual Fields, Stereo Testing, Evaluation of motility, Pupillary function tests, Color plates, Applanation tonometry, Refractometry, Angle assess Dilation of pupils, Visual field testing, Pachymetry, Cortopographygrapy, Optic nerve scanning (i.e. OCT, HRT, Gdx).
- Valid CPR certification.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assist in recruitment, hiring, training, performance reviews of technical personnel.
2. Maintain weekly schedules through outlook for back office staff, support other locations when shortages occur to include sub specialty teams.
3. Designate exam rooms day prior for traveling teams and staffing if required.
4. Maintain a training program developed by Training Manager for clinical staff including the immediate supervision of untrained assistants.
5. Appropriately schedule technical staff in accordance with clinic needs; approve request for time off for technical staff.
6. Monitor technical staff time to avoid overtime, adjust time and location errors. All missed punch and PTO approval to Dir. Clinical Ops
7. Organize and conduct regular meetings of technical staff.
8. Consult with CM on problems and interpretation of policies to ensure patient needs are met.
9. Support and implement protocols for continuing education of technical staff.
10. Plan and organize quarterly in-service training programs.
11. Perform patient work-ups and diagnostic testing, as required by most senior level clinical staff, as needed.
12. Answer patient questions and telephone inquiries, including but not limited to attaining resolution to patient problems.
13. Manage patient flow and determine which patient should be taken next from the waiting room to have testing
14. Maintain a smooth flow of patients to the physician, altering the test sequence as required.
15. Triage phone calls from patients, when necessary, to ensure appointment is scheduled in a timely manner, according to nature of patient problem.
16. Maintain inventory levels; order all clinical supplies to assure all exam rooms and technician areas are fully stocked to include trial contact lenses and sample medication.
17. Manage OSHA policies and procedures; maintain updated OSHA manual.
18. Participate on Safety committee; assure all staff are trained and knowledgeable of all safety procedures.
19. Schedule all preventative maintenance on covered instrumentation
20. Ensure all clinic equipment is functioning properly; troubleshoot malfunctioning equipment first and request repairs and maintenance, as needed.
21. Provide back-up support to other technicians, including returning patient phone calls that include scheduling of ER calls, prescription refills and other duties as needed.